|PLACES OF INTEREST
Nature and Adventure
|King Edward VII
The central school, which started in 1883, was the first english
school in the malay States. It was renamed the King Edward VII
School when the present building was opened in 1905. The angsana or
'flame of the forest' trees were planted in 1910 and enhanced the
school grounds as one of the most picturesque in the country. The
school excelled in sports, especially football, rugby, hockey and
athletics. During the japanese occupation, the school was the base
of the garrison commander who converted the classrooms into torture
chambers and dug up the playgrounds to grow food. Located at
station road in Taiping town.
Built in 1897, Masjid Kota is the oldest brick mosque in Taiping
with an intriguing six-sided facade. It was originally a Hanafi
sect mosque, which was patronised by the Indian Muslim community of
Kota. In the early 20th century, it was handed over to the Malay
community and called Masjid Melayu (Malay Mosque). Within the old
burial ground is the mausoleum of a learned scholar called Sheikh
| Kota Ngah Ibrahim Historical
Situated in matang, it was built in 1854 over 2 acres as the formal
residence of ngah ibrahim. Over the years it has served as various
establishments such as larut administration centre, as a court for
the prosecution of dato' maharaja lela and dato' sagor for the
killing of j.w.w. Birch, as the residence for captain speedy the
then assistant resident, the first teacher's training college, the
first national school, matang primary school, japanese headquarters
and presently as th Kota Ngah Ibrahim Historical Complex.
Opening Hours : 9.30 am to 5pm (Daily including public
Admission is Free
Tel : 05-847 7757
|Lady Treacher Girls'
The first girls' school in the Malay States was established by the
Perak Government in 1889. The Methodists later took over the school
and renamed it after the British Resident's wife. Soon after the
present school building was completed in November 1941, the
Japanese Occupation army requisitioned it for their barracks.
|Long Jaafar Old
Formerly the stronghold of Long Jaafar, the explorer of tin ore in
Larut, to this dayruins of the old fort is still visible. There is
also the mausoleum of Long Jaafar within the compound.
|Malay States Guides
Built in the 1880s, this was the headquarters of the Perak Armed
Police, later called the Malay States Guides. Today, it is the most
intact, historically important military complex of its kind in
Malaysia. The statue of Colonel Walker originally stood above the
porch of the Regimental Quarter-Guard House, which faces the
Esplanade. Located along the Main Road, Taiping.