|PLACES OF INTEREST
Nature and Adventure
A modern metropolis with colourful history and overwhelming
progress lies along the Sarawak river, though no one knows for
surehow city of Kuching gots its name. It means cat. Divided into 2
sides, the north Kuching or petra jaya and south Kuching. It is the
only city in malaysia with 2 city mayors.the site attraction in
Kuching include the famous Kuching waterfront. The people's place,
where the promenade offers historical features and modern
facilities, beautifully landscaped.
Set among the rolling lawns on the northern bank of the Sarawak
river, the majestic palace was built in 1870 by Rajah Charles
Brooke, the second white Rajah, as a bridal gift for his wife Ranee
Margaret Brooke. It is now the official residence of Sarawak's Head
of State and has served as the venue for numerous state functions
throughout the years.
| Cat Museum
Located at the government complex in north Kuching, you will be
able to find everything you've wanted to know about cats. This
dedicated Cat Museum most probably one of its kind in the world
offers informative insights on cats and its family. There are also
souvenirs cats, cat key chains, cat t-shirts, cat statues etc.
| Court House
The Court House is surely one of the most magnificent buildings in
Sarawak. The imposing facade has intricate local art pattern
incorporated in its door and grilles and roof panels. Completed in
1874, it was the seat of the government during the reign of the
while rajahs. The beautiful clock tower was added to the
architecture in 1883, with the obelisk memorial to rajah charles
brooke officially commissioned in 1924.
| Fort Margherita
Built in 1878, the fort commands a breathtaking and strategic
position along the Sarawak river. Named after ranee margaret, it
was completed the year after, just in time to defend Kuching
against pirate attacks from the river. The fort has since been
renovated and now serves as police museum.
| General Post
The Kuching General Post Office is gazetted as being the only
building of its kind in this part of the world to employ corinthian
columns in its facade.